Go to Kentucky.gov home page
Kentucky Techlines - a monthly digital information publication (banner imagery) go to homepage.

Grace Period for State Job Registers Expires

Career Opportunities System - Main Page

Interested applicants for state merit jobs within the commonwealth of Kentucky posted on or after March 18, 2008 must create an online account with the Personnel Cabinet’s Career Opportunities System (COS).

On Nov. 26, 2007, the Personnel Cabinet successfully launched COS, its new online employment system, designed to make applying for state employment much easier. Since then, the Cabinet enacted a grace period providing agencies with certified registers containing the names of applicants who were qualified in the past. That period ended on March 27, 2008.

All vacant merit jobs will be posted on the Personnel Cabinet’s Web site for a minimum of 10 days. To apply, job-seekers must first create an account and submit an application in COS.

The Personnel Cabinet will review applications for each position to determine applicant qualifications for that vacant position; however, an applicant’s name will not automatically be sent to an agency on future registers. Under the new system, applicants must actively seek each position that is open in order to be considered for employment.

Applicants are no longer restricted to 15 registers and may apply for any job vacancies for which they qualify.

Prior to the launch of COS, applicants sometimes drove hours to the Personnel Cabinet in Frankfort to apply for a job a few miles from their home. It was common to have 150 to 200 applicants visiting each day to apply for jobs. In the past four months, as applicants have taken advantage of the new ability to apply from anywhere they have Internet access, that number has dropped to as few as 20 per day.

As of mid-March, the total number of COS applicants was 16,576, including 3,949 current state employees. Approximately 95 percent are citizens of the commonwealth.  The other 5 percent represent 48 other states and a few foreign countries, including U.S. service men and women applying while serving active duty overseas. In addition, the Personnel Cabinet has certified 907 registers and 444 appointments have been made from those registers.

To access COS, go to personnel.ky.gov and click on Career Opportunities System.

Individuals who would like to request a copy of their previous applications and updates on file as an aid to completing their COS application may do so by accessing this form and following the instructions.

 

Last Updated 4/7/2008
Privacy | Security | Disclaimer | Accessibility Statement