Commonwealth Technology News
Kentucky.gov Adds New Services, Gets a New Look
The Commonwealth of Kentucky officially unveiled a new state portal with an updated design and additional online services.
Gov. Fletcher Announces Commonwealth News Center
Governor Ernie Fletcher announces new Commonwealth News Center, which features the latest news from all cabinets and agencies within state government.
New Kentucky Information Highway Has Arrived
The Commonwealth Office of Technology recently began a major initiative to upgrade Kentucky State Government's communication network infrastructure.
Secretary of State’s Web Site is Now Multilingual
Secretary of State Trey Grayson recently announced that the Office of the Secretary of State’s Web site will offer translations into six languages.
Kentucky Offers GIS As a Utility
COT's Division of Geographic Information has created two new geographic information system (GIS) utilities supporting enterprise GIS across the state.
Gov.'s Mansion Preservation Foundation Web Site Launched
First Lady Glenna Fletcher announced that a Web site has been launched for The Governor’s Mansion Preservation Foundation.
||National Tech Stories
The Kentucky Geography Network Sets a New Record!
The Kentucky Geography Network, or KYGEONET, received over 2 million hits from over 9,000 unique visitors in June, 2005. “Numbers had hovered just over 1.5 million for the past several months so we knew it was just a matter of time,” said Gary Harp, director of the Kentucky Division of Geographic Information. The number of unique visitors has seen a steady rise along with the number of total server hits indicating that a growing number of people are discovering the resources. Kentucky is leading the nation in its ability to provide geographic services not only within government, but also as a service to the Commonwealth’s citizenry and private sector.
- The KYGEONET has over 350 available resources including Internet mapping sites, downloadable GIS data, map images, GIS standards and Web mapping services.
- There are over 40 Internet mapping sites relating to such topics as hunting & fishing, Kentucky’s State Parks, hydrology, geology, mining, water planning, highway projects and incorporated cities.
- The most widely utilized site is the Commonwealth Map Viewer with over 470,000 hits in June, 2005.
- Nearly 270,000 hits in June 2005 were generated by users performing searches for geographic services using the Geographic Explorer.
- The Kentucky Hunting & Fishing Sites Map Viewer always leads the pack in terms of usage with over 248,000 hits from over 1,100 unique visitors in June 2005.
- Currently, 16 publishers contribute to the resources available on the KYGEONET.